Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Wonky Work In Progress

It has been a busy week! Hardly any sewing, boo. We have been in California - our son graduated from Marine bootcamp, yay! We had a few days in the sun before returning to the cold weather. Thankfully no snow yet. Before I left I did manage to decide on my next project and even sew up a block to see if I liked 'the plan.'  I stumbled across the wonky pinwheel tutorial by Greenleaf Goods; I really liked the idea and saw a number of variations on Pinterest. It took me awhile, seriously days, to decide on what I wanted to do here. I finally decided on solid Kona Navy surrounded by teal prints. Yum!


I like it! I'm thinking about doing a larger starting square; these were 3.5 inches and seems like it might take forever and ever before a quilt would emerge. My test block above is 6.5 square, it will be 6 when finished. The benefit of using the smaller starting squares is that you can use up even small scraps... a trade off, forever and ever before a finish or using up small scraps. Don't know, gonna have to ponder this one.

Using the dark centers is really no trouble at all, I just used my pink sewline to mark the lines


I can't wait until this is finished. I don't know what it will end up as but I'm excited to see! In the meantime I'm doing another dog quilt that will hang in a dog rescue! Instead of pastels the request for this quilt was 'bright and fun.' I had a couple of ideas, Lily Ashbury always comes to mind when I hear 'bright' but didn't think her awesome florals would work here. I decided on V and Co Simply Style. These fabrics are bright and fun and not too girly or boyish. I think the colors will really pop against a bright white background. I'm planning to use Kona White as the background fabric. I'm working on a plan for the background and borders.


Link Parti's 

Take a look at the linki parti's I get down with here or by clicking on the Linki Parti's link above. Linking up to Freshly Pieced My Quilt Infatuation Whoop Whoop Friday Stitch by Stitch and Let's Bee Social



5 comments:

  1. Hello Heather, I love that pattern too... tried it once with a very tiny mini quilt, but suppose one day I use it for a big one. Your quilt with this pattern will be beautiful! Kind regards, Annett
    Feel invited to visit my blog knettycraft.wordpress.com... there's a pincushion swap going on

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those wonky pinwheels look like a lot of fun--I like the navy with teal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of the pinwheel. If you want to use up your small scraps, but not have it take as long, might I recommend doing some blocks that finish at 6" and some that finish at 12". Your 6" finished blocks can be set in sets of 4 to match the 12" blocks, and it will get you done faster + use up those small scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very similar to my Endless Chain quilt! Love your color selection!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heather this looks like such fun!! Great scrap buster too!!

    ReplyDelete