Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Postage Stamp Pillow

After finishing up my Sherbet Baby Quilt I still had quite a few scraps and jelly roll strips leftover over in varying lengths. I decided to put together some 9 patch blocks just to see how it went - I thought I might be in for weeks of sewing tiny squares together but I managed to put all the little blocks together in a weekend. Usually I sew my quilts together in rows so first sewing these into nine patch blocks was a first and a very good idea for these little squares. My test project was this postage stamp pillow cover


Usually I make a pillow with leftovers from a quilt... I guess I still wasn't quite ready to commit to a full quilt made with just 2.5 inch squares. Finished squares are 2 inches. This pillow was made with nine- 9 patch blocks and fits an 18 inch pillow. I was able to strip piece many of the leftovers which allowed for some quick block making. So. Much. Ironing! Thankfully I don't mind ironing...


I went with straight line quilting around each seam... and decided that I was not going to be doing that for a large quilt even though I love the look. It took quite some time just for the pillow top. After lots of hmming and hawing I went with Tangerine Leaf from Botanics by Carolyn Friedlander for the backing fabric. I really love this line and especially this print; I have it in every color... although I'm mostly hoarding it! Why is it so hard to part with the prettiest fabrics?!


I wasn't sure if this fabric was appropriate for a backing and I don't think I would use it for the back of a quilt but it works well with the pillow. Plus the leaves fit right in with the birds and flowers from the Up Parasol line used on the front. And of course an invisible zipper in cream!


I am ridiculously happy with that photo of the zipper!

Link Parti's 


Take a look at the linki parti's I get down with here or by clicking on the Linki Parti's link above. Linking up to Sew Fresh Quilts LAFF Whoop Whoop Friday crazy mom quilts Sew Cute Tuesday i have to say and My Quilt Infatuation 

13 comments:

  1. What a great way to use up all those tiny pieces! And the backing is perfect - orangey leaves is a perfect tie-in. I also really like the straight quilting. It looks so nice and neat and really lets the piecing stand out. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome idea for all those little squares that doesn't involve committing to an entire quilt! Those colors are so happy and remind me of warm weather. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! Love the line about the zipper photo because I totally relate. Sometimes it is the simplest accomplishments that make me so happy!! Love the pillow. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a great zipper shot. ;) And I really like the idea of using the scraps for a coordinating pillow. As far as the backing goes...it's wonderful! Keeps the feeling light and airy. Perfect for spring/summer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh SO sweet! What a gorgeous pillow cover. This is such a fine finish and a great use of those scraps!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your pillow and zipper look so great! Love the look of those squares and the way you quilted around them. I want to learn to put in an invisible zipper now - your's looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous! I love how effective simple squares can be when used with lovely fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Found this link on My Quilt Infatuation... lovely finish. Great work! A cheery pillow:")

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's always fun to use the left overs to make another equally lovely item. Your cushion looks great Visiting from FIUF.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A great looking pillow!! I am making a 1.5 inch postage stamp. I hear ya!!! And yes, some think I've totally lost it. But it's an ongoing project.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh isn't it gorgeous! I love the tiny squares but I think I'm with you on not quite being able to face up to a whole quilt of them!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great pillow finish!! Do you have a tutorial that you follow for the invisible zipper? I've always done an envelope back for my pillows.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Did you iron your seams open for this and the quilt? Both lovely finishes and perfect fabric pairings.

    ReplyDelete