Saturday, August 1, 2015

August do.Good Stitches Block Tutorial

I cannot believe it is my turn to be queen bee again! This summer is flying right by. July was crazy! Vacation, visitors, more visitors and a couple of custom quilt orders! It's no wonder August snuck right up! Here's a quick block tutorial that we'll be using for Promise Circle do.Good Stitches this month.


I recently came across a similar design done with paper piecing by Amy Ellis.... I haven't quite mastered paper piecing yet so I figured out another way to make it.


Materials for one 6 1/2 inch unfinished star block:
White background fabric
4 - 1.5in x 3in rectangles
Plus white scraps to complete the points

Fabric for stars
4 - 3 inch squares
1 - 1.5 inch square


Take one of your 3-inch squares and measure 1 1/4 inches on both sides of a single corner. On the wrong side place a small mark at each of the 1 1/4 inch lines. Do this for each of the four 3-inch squares.


Grab your ruler and, starting at the opposite corner of the corner with the two marks, draw a straight line to each of the marks. These will be your sew lines.


Grab a white scrap and place it right sides together with your marked square. Follow one of the sew lines. Before sewing you might want to take a quick peek and make sure you have enough white fabric to re-trim the square, this part can be a little tricky the first few you make.


Next trim the excess off 1/4 inch from your sew line


Open and press


Trim off excess white scrap so that you have a 3 inch square again


Do the same with your second marked sew line so that you end up with a 3 inch square with your color fabric in the center surrounded by your white background fabric. Complete this for each of the four 3-inch squares.


Next assemble the star blocks.


Trim block to 6 1/2 inches


Hopefully I captured all the important steps - if you have questions let me know and I'll be sure to answer them! I've added a link to this starburst quilt block tutorial to my Tutorials page.

Link Parti's 


Take a look at the linki parti's I get down with here or by clicking on the Linki Parti's link above. Linking up to Show Off Saturday Quilt Story Show and Tell Tuesday Sew Fresh Quilts Freshly Pieced My Quilt Infatuation Val's Quilting Studio and Sew Cute Tuesday

9 comments:

  1. Really nice choice...it's going to make for a stunning quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so brave to construct this without paper piecing! My fear would be losing those pesky points when joining the blocks. Is that last pic indicative of the palette for this bee -- mustard, teal, gray? Oh, I can't wait to see what your beemates contribute to this quilt. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a great block! I love paper piecing so this is very appealing to me! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful block and love your colour choices too. Thanks for the tutorial - can I ask where you saw the similar paper pieced template ? Thanks
    Colleen piecemakerquilts.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. VERY ATTRACTIVE BLOCK!
    msstitcher1214@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful block with lovely colours!!

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  7. Working on mine right now! Great use of scraps and I was able to use the 1.5" white strips I've had forever!

    ReplyDelete