Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Sea Monster Baby Quilt

It has been awhile since I shared the flimsy for this baby boy quilt. I usually quilt up my finished tops right away. July was crazy so this one was folded up and neatly stashed away until everything calmed down a bit around here. I'm not quite ready to bid farewell to summer just yet though... then again we do have football to look forward to!  This quilt was featured at My Quilt Infatuation Blossom Heart Quilts and Quilt Story!!


I used a tutorial by cluck cluck sew called Scrappy Summer. I have seen this pattern referred to Penny Patch as well.


It was a great scrap busting project and I made it a little larger than I usually make my baby quilts because these blocks were fun to do and before I knew it I had a few too many! I used a palette of orange, navy, blue, grey and mustard along with Kona White for the the four-patch blocks. I love when I don't have to buy anything new to finish a quilt! Not that I mind buying fabric!


I quilted it in a meandering pattern using a variegated light grey thread from my Tula Pink Aurifil collection. Then bound it all together with a spotty mustard and white binding. I don't always wash my quilts after they are finished but I couldn't help but want to see this one all crinkled up! The crinkle factor is one of the main reason I love to use meandering even though meandering is tricky for my brain. I love how fluffy and snuggly it turned out. The backing was just the right choice so thanks to those who shared opinions in my last post about this quilt!


The constellation fabric above glows in the dark! I didn't have a particular little guy in mind for this quilt but I do remember my own kiddo loving glow in the dark anything! Just to be sure it worked I did take this into a closet and 'oooh and aaahh' over the glowing fabric yesterday! Plus there are monsters - sea monsters!!


I would absolutely use this baby quilt pattern again. My finished quilt is around 37x48 and is available in my etsy shop for some sea creature, outer space loving little guy or little guy at heart!


Link Parti's 


Take a look at the linki parti's I get down with here or by clicking on the Linki Parti's link above. Linking up to Sew Fresh Quilts Sew Cute Tuesday Quilt Story LAFF Whoop Whoop Friday Quilt Matters crazy mom quilts and My Quilt Infatuation

15 comments:

  1. Love this! The bursts of orange really liven this up, and all the whimsical touches you put into it will make this quilt very special to whichever little boy eventually gets it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, I'm visiting from Let's Bee Social. This is a great finish and I love the constellation print that glows in the dark!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful color combination and the backing is adorable! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great finish even if you don't have a recipient yet. Great color choices and just the most adorable sea monsters I've ever seen! Have you used glow in the dark thread? I'm contemplating using it when I make a space-themed quilt. This would be a fun pattern to use, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like this palette, it's got just the right amount of pop with that orange! And glow in the dark sounds absolutely fabulous, I want some now! Lol. Awesome finish! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so cute, I really like the color combination you used.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Adorable. Love the color mix. That does look like a pattern that lets you get in that groove. My favorite kind of sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Heather! This is beautiful and I love the colours! Lovely simple pattern to show the colours and prints. There are some of my favourites including the binding. x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely perfect for a little one! Congrats on the finish.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love everything about this little baby quilt. The colors and print are so much fun. Congrats on your finish!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the colours you used for this quilt! Very sweet and fun, but not too babyish (if that makes sense!). Very nice little finish!

    ReplyDelete
  12. cute quilt thanks for the info, just bookmarked it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Woo hoo! Love this quilt -- the colour palette is great and I LOVE the idea of using glow in the dark thread on a kids quilt. My boys would lose it over this quilt. So glad you linked up to TGIFF, Heather!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh thank you!! I think I have my next project! I love it and need a scrap project!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like this quilt too. Thanks for posting the link to the tutorial. That glow in the dark constellation fabric is the bomb!

    ReplyDelete