Friday, September 11, 2015

Green Bay Packers Quilt

Whew I made it! I finished my modern Green Bay Packers quilt just in time for the first game of the season. Green and gold fabrics are Cotton and Steel basics; I would use them again for another Packers quilt.


This football quilt was one of the most challenging quilts I've ever completed! I'd put it in the modern sampler category with the different sized blocks, asymmetry and traditional blocks combined with improv blocks.


I really like the football blocks - I didn't have a pattern but I was inspired by cluck cluck sew's Touchdown pattern so I just winged it. I also added one great big Swoon block, starburst blocks, and letters from the Spell it with Moda tutorials which are all over the place on the internet and sort of tricky to find. The rest of the blocks are random improv or simple pinwheels, HSTs and hourglass blocks. The flying geese blocks were made with the Quilt in a Day ruler in 4 and 8 inch blocks - this is the first time I have used the ruler following the instructions - boy did that make ALL the difference! I can't see using anything else for flying geese... I must acquire all sizes of the ruler now. Crisp points every time!


The tiny cross block is 3 inches finished, very small pieces in that block! I went with straight line quilting every 1 1/4 inches in a gold colored Mettler thread. Since I backed the quilt in chocolate colored minky I wanted something that would't give my machine lots of trouble due to the impending deadline. I also did a scrappy binding in solid green and gold fabrics. It measures 55x57 - great size for game day


Although I truly hate to part with it I decided to donate this quilt to Shorewood Cocker Rescue annual fundraiser this weekend in southern Wisconsin. The chocolate backing goes great with the footballs and also our beautiful foster Mya, who has been with us since May of this year waiting for her forever home!


We have a very busy weekend planned - Rescue fundraiser on Saturday, football on Sunday and today is my birthday so celebrating of course! Wine, cake and yummy food I hope! My hubby brought home an orange flower arrangement with gerbera daisies, roses, sunflowers, lilies and other things I can only identify as very pretty so we are off to a good start!


This quilt is an adventure and most definitely one of my favorite quilts of the year!

Link Parti's 


Take a look at the linki parti's I get down with here or by clicking on the Linki Parti's link above. Linking up to Whoop Whoop Friday What a Hoot! Sew Cute Tuesday Quilt Story My Quilt Infatuation and crazy mom quilts

15 comments:

  1. Wow so many wonderful things in this post! Happy Birthday to begin with! Your dog is ADORABLE (our first dog, Sam was a cocker)! And the quilt is spectacular! I am really impressed how well the C+S fabrics worked in this quilt. Backing fabric will guarantee this will be a huge success in the fundraiser. Happy Football Season!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, wow - fantastic marriage of modern and fan quilt fare! I really love that chocolate spot minky for the backing - absolutely perfect. Nice link-up for TGIFF. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks awesome, great design! Love the minky back, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not much of a football fan, but I love this quilt! So clever with all of the different blocks and the letters. Those footballs are fantastic - so crisp. Very generous of you to donate it. Someone will be nice and cozy come Game Day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok as a fellow Packer Fan I immediately fell in love with this quilt!! And then to see your brown Cocker??!?!? OMG You are my new best friend! I have a chocolate Cockapoo!!! Hes got those same fluffy legs! Hope your quilt raises big bucks and ... Go Pack Go!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Someone is going to love this....it's so unique. Love the colors and the footballs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not even a football fan and I think this is super cute! Great layout and design!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome quilt - love the green and gold!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh!!! I have to show my husband and his brother. They are huge Packer fan!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it! Gonna share your blog post on my green bay packer quilts fb page!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it! Gonna share your blog post on my green bay packer quilts fb page!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really love how you put it together with all the random blocks. It's great!

    ReplyDelete