Thursday, December 4, 2014

Holiday Mini Improv Quilts and Dog Progress

Lots of catching up this week after the holiday last week! I've made quite a bit of progress on one of my dog quilts. The grass and sky have been pieced. I've cut all of the applique pieces using Wonder Under 805 which I have used since Steam a Seam II disappeared earlier this year although it looks to be back now; if anyone has given the new stuff a try I'd love to hear about it. I have just a few applique pieces left to attach including the eyes which are the most difficult to place. Temporarily I'm using scotch tape to attach them... and hoping I don't run over the tape with the iron!


This gal had some pretty floppy ears with the left one laying flat and the right one flipping out a little. I decided to give the right one a little dimension and added some fluff between the layers. I had worried about the batik dog fabric as I don't use a lot of batik but I think it really works here.


I do my applique with my Pfaff (love her!). It can be a slow process especially on rounded corners where the fabric needs turned every couple of stitches. Maybe I won't do such round-y letters next time!?! I'm using both Mettler and Aurifil threads to do the applique.


This will be my third time making this quilt. So far I'm really liking the 'Hildy' version!

Holiday Mini Improv Quilts

Just before Halloween I did a custom set of mini Ghastlies quilts for a client. Now there is a matching set of Christmas Ghastlies mini quilts! 


I love doing improv with the Ghastlies; you don't really know where you're going until you've arrived. They are all different but coordinate well together. They have been shipped off just in time for the holidays! I can't get over the gold polka dot fabric by Dear Stella; I lucked out and had a few large scraps of the gold and red snowflake fabric that went really well the the gold polka dots too.


Link Parti's 

Take a look at the linki parti's I get down with here or by clicking on the Linki Parti's link above. Linking up to crazy mom quilts Quokka Quilts Whoop Whoop Friday Freshly Pieced and Richard and Tanya Quilts 

7 comments:

  1. Your dog ears look amazing with a little 3D effect. I wonder how they will wash?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! The flopped-over ear is just so adorable. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like those ghastlies minis! Improv is my favorite style and goes so well with novelty fabric. Bet your client will love these too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your Ghastlies mini quilts - they really made me smile and have some cool fabrics in there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha!! Love the Ghastlies minis :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice post thhanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete