Sunday, February 1, 2015

Promise Circle February Blocks

A couple of weeks ago I mentioned that I was invited to participate in do.Good Stitches Promise Circle and I’m still pretty excited about that! My month to be the quilter is February which came up really fast! Yay, so glad it’s here already! I wanted to keep it simple since I only had a few days to come up with a color scheme and block. I decided on improv log cabins in two variations. I first dove into improv log cabins when putting together my pink log cabin pillow – those three little blocks were super fun. Promise Circle quilts benefit orphaned children through Threading Hope.


I selected colors in hot pink, mustard, white, navy and mint/light teal.


One of my 2015 goals was to put together a quilt with different sized blocks – making a quilt with several other people seemed like a good opportunity to get at that. The ‘large block variation’ is 12.5x12.5 unfinished. I started with a 3 inch square in the middle and added strings in varying widths between 1 - 2.5 inches with no particular rhyme or reason although I did alternate colors at each turn and kept the logs somewhat straight instead of wonky.


The ‘small block variation’ is made up of 4- 6.5x6.5 unfinished improv log cabin blocks with a total unfinished size of 12.5x12.5 just like the large block. I started with a 2.5 inch square in varying colors and used the same pile of strings for the large block variation using mostly 1 - 1.5 inch wide strings although there were a few that were wider.


Each bee mate will make 2 blocks. I plan to let my bee mates decide which block variation(s) they want to make. That way it will be a fun surprise to see what shows up! I’ve never made a whole quilt with improv log cabins as it seems daunting but I have always admired them. The finished quilt will be donated to charity and should be ready in April.

If you are a beginner to improv log cabins take a look at the tutorial by Heather Jones at Sew4Home My blocks are a little more scrappy and had smaller beginning center squares but the general idea for construction is the same. Do what you like bee mates – it’s going to be amazing no matter what!

Link Parti's 


Take a look at the linki parti's I get down with here or by clicking on the Linki Parti's link above. Linking up to Show and Tell Tuesday Sew Fresh Quilts Richard and Tanya Quilts Whoop Whoop Friday and Freshly Pieced 

17 comments:

  1. Hi Heather. I popped in here from GYB, but I've seen your work before. I love happy color schemes, and have found them on your blog. Following with anticipation. keep it up!

    Julie @ Pink Doxies

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are gorgeous! Both in style and color. Pinning so I can come back and make my own someday. Might be a great project for my bee. Thanks for the inspiration, and can't wait to see everyone's blocks together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your colors and this idea. It will be fun to see what the whole thing looks like when you receive all of your blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love the colors in this one! bright cheery and super fun.
    can't wait to see the progress :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This will be a fun one! I need to check my meager stash to see what I've got for these colors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the colors, blocks and everything! Great first pick, I look forward to making these!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the improv party going on here! Color choices are so good! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful and bright quilt blocks! Love the colors in the log cabin design!

    ReplyDelete
  9. love your color palette! Dropping in from Lets' Bee Social :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. this is beautiful! Thanks for sharing the tutorial link.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the palette you chose for this and the different sized blocks look amazing together!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous and love your colour palette. This will be so amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your choice of colours for your improv blocks. They're lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOVE the colors you chose for your blocks. I think it will look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That quilt is going to be awesome, I am sure! The colour combo is stunning and the different sized blocks will make a great impact. I am looking forward to see it finished! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete