Thursday, February 12, 2015

Star of the Show Rainbow Mini Quilt

It is no secret that I’m pretty much in love with V and Co Simply Color line – her first line ever, by the way. It would be okay with me if she just did that line over and over… The fabrics are so bright and colorful. I used it on my rainbow herringbone quilt and rainbow quilted pillow cover last year. I came across a bunch of Simply Color fabrics just before the New Year and bought them up! The first item to be made from my coveted stash is this rainbow mini quilt, a special request from a client who needed a ‘star of the show’ for her mini quilt wall! This mini quilt was featured at Richard and Tanya's Link a Finish Friday!!


Yum! This mini is a redo of the rainbow pillow cover although this one needed to be a little larger as the pillow was an 18 inch square and the client was needing a 20x20 for her mini quilt wall. The adding of one more row going across and down proved to be a challenge! I did use a few scraps from my stash and a number of fabrics from V and Co Simply Style line which has many of the same colors.


I decided on a rainbow binding, although any of the colors probably would have worked out well and if it were for me I would have done teal or mustard… or maybe the plum because it is gorgeous! For me to say that about a purple is really something; I have almost no purple to speak of in my stash, it just isn't something I’m drawn to, but these purples are amazing!


Since I machine stitch my bindings to the front and back – first I stitch the binding to the back and then flip and machine stitch to the front – I had a rough time deciding on the color of thread to use on the front binding with the rainbow colored binding; I didn't want the thread to be overly obvious against some of the fabrics and blend right in with others… I nearly went with white which would have stood out on most but decided on grey at the last minute and was really happy with how it turned out. Last fall I attended Madison Quilt Expo and listened to Weeks Ringle speak and recall her saying that if she could only have a few colors of thread she would choose grey, tan and white… and maybe a few others but those are the ones I can remember! Good call on the grey Weeks, good call!


My first go hanging a quilt with washi tape; works! Well, just long enough to take photos and then it promptly fell down… that’s ok, I work fast! 

Just for fun I did a pieced backing with fabrics from the front. I even tried to place them so the straight line quilting would line up same as the front. It was very close. Close enough!


Link Parti's 


Take a look at the linki parti's I get down with here or by clicking on the Linki Parti's link above. Linking up to crazy mom quilts Quilt Matters Richard and Tanya Quilts Whoop Whoop Friday Show Off Saturday and My Quilt Infatuation 

12 comments:

  1. Totally cute and I love that fabric line too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really nice mini quilt ... love that deep grape-y colour in the corner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice. I like how you lined up the binding.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a sucker for rainbows! Beautifully done...love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is fantastic as I love that line and rainbow colored quilts of all sizes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous colors in those fabrics! Great mini quilt. The binding is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seeing your work with this fabric line doesn't get old -- I love each project! This mini is beautiful. I'm especially drawn to the rainbow binding. It's just another idea I'm going to have to steal from you. : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is soooo cute! I love that collection of fabric.
    By the way, I also machine sew my quilt bindings on the back, flip, then machine sew them to the front.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love, love, love me some rainbow! Beautfiul, Heather! I love the pops of lighter value. So glad you linked up to TGIFF!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This mini has a great use of color, and I love how your scrappy binding worked out!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just love this mini quilt! It's just so beautiful. Thank you for sharing your finish.

    ReplyDelete